Saturday, August 1, 2009

Shabkar's Turning Point

.
Good morning my friends,
It's day #24 of drinking ONLY pure water and eating ONLY sweet, juicy, fruit.





In Shabkar's "Food of Bodhisattvas" I read:


"It was, however, during his early adulthood,
on the occasion of a pilgrimage to Lha-sa,
that an experience occurred that was to prove
a turning point in his peronsl life-style.





Amid his various visits to shrines and monasteries
and the paying of respects to lamas and
other religioius and political dignitaries,
Shabkar had been drawn again and again to

the Ko-khang, the central temple in the city,
which houses the famous Jo-wo Rin-po-che,
an image of Shakyamuni Buddha,
reputedly made in the latter's own lifetime.





This image was and is one of the most revered obgjects
in the Tibetan Buddhist world,
and over the centuries it has been the focus of
countless offerings, and devoted prayers.

'One day,'
Shabkar recalls in his auto biography,

'I remained in the presence of the Jo-wo
for a long, long time,
and I was praying so intensely
that I entered a state of profound absorption.

Later, as I was walking along
on the outer cicumambulation path around the city,
I came upon the bodies of many sheep and goats
that had been slaughtered.

At that moment, the compassion that flooded into me
for all the animals in the world
that are killed for food
was so strong that I could NOT stand it.





I returned to the Jo-wo Rin-po-che,
and with prostrations made this vow:

From today onward,
I will abandon the negative action of
eating the flesh of beings,
each of whom was once my Parent.
' "






I can be reached at:
http://www.FaceBook.com/LamaJigme





Om Mani Padme Hum,
Lama Jigme Gyatso: Rime Manipa Tantrika


.